Skip to main content

Rockdale Then and Now

Rockdale Elementary opened its doors in 1909. The original school was a two-unit wooden structure located by a pond and a stream surrounded by an open field and hills.  In 1928, a beautiful two-story red brick schoolhouse was completed and used until it was deemed unsafe after the 1971 earthquake.

PIcs119 crop lres.jpg

Today Rockdale consists of a modern two-story building with four classrooms, underground parking, an elevator, a beautiful library, a large decorated staff lounge, a modern cafeteria, and a large multipurpose room. Five bungalows around the perimeter of the playground house twelve classrooms. Rockdale has two large, colorful playground structures, a Reading Garden with a beautiful Secret Garden mural, and an edible garden.

RockdalePhoto lres.jpg

Rockdale’s current student body is ethnically diverse, made up of Hispanic, Filipino, White, African-American, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, and American Indian Students.